Primary School Day
Burchell Road Site
The School Day
Nursery: Morning session: 8.45am - 11.45am
Afternoon session: 12.45pm - 3.45pm
Reception and Infant Classes: 8.50am - 11.45am / 12.45pm - 3.20pm
Juniors: 8.45am-3.15pm (Lunch = 12.30pm-1.30pm)
Summer term assembly rota
Nursery and Entry to the School
The Nursery is a purpose built, self-contained unit in Vicarage Road. It opened in May 1984. It has a pretty secluded garden with grass and shrubs. Inside it is mainly open plan, bright and cheerful with a large carpeted area and also a tiled area for wet play and creative activities.
The Nursery – like the rest of the school - is a multi-cultural one, which offers part-time education. There are two sessions, morning and afternoon, each of which caters for thirty-nine children. As children are not of school age they must be collected by an adult.
Most of our children join George Mitchell in the Nursery, aged 3. Although a place in the Nursery does not guarantee a place in the main school; the vast majority move on to our Reception class, where they are joined by children new to the school.
There is now only a September intake to Reception although children often join us mid-term.
The Foundation Stage
The Foundation Stage is made up of two year groups and as the name suggests it forms the foundation of learning for the children prior to entering Key Stage 1 (Infants). The First part of the Foundation Stage is the Nursery and the second is the Reception Year.
We have a very simple uniform which is both smart and comfortable. (Clothing grants are available from the Local Authority for families who are eligible.)
- Tops should be plain white with a collar (shirts, blouse or polo shirts; no t-shirts).
- Cardigans or jumpers should be v-neck and plain black with the school logo; sweat shirts should be plain black with the school logo.
- Trousers or skirts should be black (no jogging bottoms or jeans).
- Skirts must not be longer than mid-calf.
- Coats must be black or dark in colour.
- Black shoes or plain black trainers must be worn at all times except during PE.
- The PE kit consists of blue T-shirt, shorts, and socks and appropriate footwear (trainers or football boots). Optional items (such as tracksuit or sweatshirt) must be blue.
- Jewellery is not allowed apart from a wristwatch and one pair of stud earrings.
For security reasons, ‘hoodies’ are banned; the wearing of hats, hoods, caps and bandanas is similarly not permitted once students come past the school gate, even in bad weather (students are permitted inside the building in these circumstances). Non-regulation items are confiscated, but returned to a parent/ carer. The school, in law, is not liable for lost or stolen confiscated items.
Uniform can be bought from:
246 Hoe Street
020 8520 2176