Geography; GCSE; OCR
Always encourage students to take an active interest in where they are going and where it is in relation to where they live. Making sure your child reads the route maps and tube maps on public transport will encourage them to learn about the city in which they live.
There are plenty of interesting websites for students to learn about Geography. Encourage your child to explore the world through some of the following general websites.
General Geography Websites:
www.rgs.org/HomePage.htm (The Royal Geographical Society)
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ (The Ordnance Survey)
Specific websites for Geography students:
· www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/ (revision website)
· www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/gcse/hss/geog_b/documents/ (GCSE Exam board website – Just do a google search for “OCR Geography B”)
Magazines and Books
• Encourage your child to read as much as possible from a wide range of sources. You should always have an atlas at home and a World, European or UK map on the bedroom wall is always helpful in encouraging learning.
What are we learning about?
We study the OCR syllabus B in Geography. A full version of the syllabus can be found at the OCR’s website at:
We study four themes, in a different order each examination cycle, depending on the topic being examined in the Sustainable decision making paper:
• Theme 1: Rivers and Coasts
• Theme 2: Population and Settlement
• Theme3: Natural Hazards (Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Floods, Hurricanes,)
• Theme 4: Economic development
Students will complete two pieces of work as a Geographical enquiry in a controlled assessment worth 25% of the overall grade awarded:
• Task 1: Fieldwork Focus 1200 word assessment.
• Task2: Geographical investigation of 800 words.
In addition to this students will sit two exams. A Sustainable decision making paper (25%) and a final exam (50%)
Parents, carers and students can contact me and send work to the following e-mail address: Lorraine James: Lorraine.email@example.com